Herbal Medicine & Nutrition Consultation
An initial consultation entails a thorough review of your health history, current health concerns, diet, lifestyle, supplements and goals. We work together to create an individualized wellness plan that works for you. Recommendations include diet, lifestyle, herbal and/or dietary supplements.
During follow-up visits we evaluate your progress and adjust recommendations to your unique wellness plan and herbal formula(s) as needed. Your needs will determine the frequency of visits. Generally, I recommend a follow-up appointment 3 weeks after an initial and then monthly visits for those with chronic health concerns or specific health goals that require tracking. Some clients elect to visit seasonally for coaching or to maintain health.
For the best results, please provide the following information to me before our appointment:
- Intake form (provided by me)
- List of medications including dosage
- List of herbs & supplements including brand and dosage
- A food diary for at least 2 consecutive days
- Current labs and/or diagnosis from your physician
Flexible Spending Plans or Health reimbursement may apply. Check with your plan to see if nutrition visits with a Board Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS®) are covered.
Practicing in Santa Rosa, CA and via Skype or telephone.
Private Yoga Consultation
An initial yoga consultation entails a brief review of your physical health, concerns and goals. I then guide and assist you through various yoga poses that are right for your body and send you home with a customized yoga practice unique to your needs. Inquire for rates and more information.
3 simple habits to move you in the direction of wellness:
1. Stay hydrated. Our entire system depends on water and most people tend towards dehydration. I recommend drinking 1/2 your weight (in pounds) in ounces of water daily. So, if you weigh 150 lbs, you need to drink about 75oz of water daily. Try adding a splash of lemon, some flax seeds or a slice of cucumber to your water for flavor and to improve absorption. Don't drink out of plastic water bottles -- opt for a water purification system and drink from glass cups.
2. Be mindful of how you spend your time in the morning. It can set the tone for your entire day. Just a few minutes of a mindfulness practice can result in huge shifts. Give it a shot. Here are a few suggestions from one of my favorite teachers, Jon Kabat-Zinn.
3. Add tonics, such as adaptogenic herbs, to your daily repertoire. Adaptogens are a category of herbs that enhance our ability to adapt to our environment, including stressors, thus making us more resilient. These nourishing tonics are best taken long-term, like good food, to glean the benefits which include: overall increase in well-being, sleep, improved stamina and energy and reduced incidence of acute illness. Who doesn’t want that?! It's always wise to consult with an herbalist to make sure you're selecting herbs that are right for your constitution or 'body type'. Here are a few adaptogenic herbs that are suitable for most people:
· Ashwagandha root (Withania somnifera) – a superb tonic where there is a combination of fatigue & anxiety. Also supports sleep so best taken in the evening.
· Reishi fruiting body (Ganoderma lucidum) – a classic tonic in Traditional Chinese Medicine, once reserved for royalty. Studies have found it to contain more than 400 active constituents! It is a deeply grounding and nourishing tonic with a an affinity for the immune, liver and respiratory systems.