Amy hails from the mountains of upstate NY where she was infused in nature at a young age and completed her Bachelor’s degrees in Environmental Science & Latin American Studies, focusing on agriculture, ecology and botany.
After college, Amy faced serious health challenges including chronic pain from an accident. By 2006, she had been through 4 surgeries and conventional pain management with little relief. Her pain was so severe and unmanageable that she and her surgeon considered amputation. To add to the perfect storm, Amy experienced adrenal fatigue and Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS) and spent many years in a state of pain, exhaustion and despair.
Finding little relief in conventional medicine, Amy turned to yoga and Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) and found a glimmer of hope. She went on to complete extensive trainings in Integrated Yoga Therapy, Meditation, Unnata® Aerial Yoga, MBSR and Meditation specifically for those with chronic pain.
In 2003, Amy’s desire for a deeper understanding of plants as medicine led her to pursue her MS in Herbal Medicine at the Maryland University of Integrative Health (MUIH). During the full-time, 3 year program, she trained with international leaders in the field gaining a solid understanding of herbal quality, efficacy, safety, herb-drug interactions, physiology, pharmacology, Materia Medica, Ayurveda and nutrition.
Successfully managing her chronic pain and health challenges with an impressive tool kit, Amy has worked for over a decade as a scientist, researcher, and educator. Amy consults with companies as a Formulator and Quality Control specialist and teaches as an adjunct professor for the MUIH Herbal Medicine program. She is a Board Certified Nutrition Specialist, the co-founder and co-formulator of Reishi Roast, holds an international certification in Aromatherapy and has taught Herbal Medicine, MBSR, yoga & meditation in studios, prisons and tropical beaches in the US, Latin America and France.
Amy is a Master Gardener and views the body as an ecosystem. She believes that most dis-ease is a result of an interplay between genetics, physiology, toxins, pathogens, stress and emotions. She is passionate about offering tools in a customized, practical and accessible way to support you on your unique path to a more fulfilling life. Her rigorous training combined with her personal experiences overcoming health challenges makes her an extremely compassionate and deeply experienced guide.
• MS, Herbal Medicine, 96 credit hours, Maryland University of Integrative Health
• Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS), Certification Board of Nutrition Specialists
• International Certification in Aromatherapy, Pacific Institute of Aromatherapy
• Meditation Instructor, Suffering & Delight Institute
• Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Professional Training, Omega Institute
• Integrated Yoga Therapist
• Certified Unnata® Aerial Yoga Instructor
• FDA/NIH & AHPA Botanical Analysis trainings
• Flower Essence Practitioner Training, expected Certification 2018
• BA, Environmental Science & Latin American Studies, State University of New York
• Permaculture Design Certificate, Daily Acts
• Sonoma County Master Gardener